The Bozeman Trail passed through the Powder River area east of Kaycee for only a short time, but this area was the stage where early explorers, travelers, trappers, the US military, the Indian Wars, and even missionaries played their part in Western expansion. The fascinating and little known history of these people and events will shared by knowledgeable local historians as you travel by bus eastward from Kaycee through the Powder River Country. The tour will be held on September 16, 2023.
Some of the famous sites and events explored on this guided historical tour include:
- 1836 Portuguese Fort of Antonio Montero, trapper
- German Lutheran Mission Station where missionaries attempted to minister to natives
- The Bozeman Trail
- The Townsend Wagon Train Fight along the Bozeman Trail
- US Military Cantonment Reno and Fort Reno sites
- Cattle Baron Moreton Frewen’s “Castle” site at 76 Ranch Headquarters
- Notable Homestead Sites and Community Sites
Tour Cost is $95 per person, which includes lunch at Fort Reno, and begins in Kaycee at 9:00 AM. Registration is required in advance and space is limited on the bus, so sign up early.
Questions? Please contact the museum at 307-738-2381 or at [email protected]
To register for the tour, please complete the form below:
Bozeman Tour Registration Form
If you would like to be notified about the tour for next year in 2024, please complete a Tour Notification Form
Please note: Dogs are not allowed on the tour for any reason.